All civilizations have a rich tradition of passing on ancient wisdom through story-telling, theater, music and play. Play is an analogue of life, and learning through play is woven into our genetic make up. Every child and young mammal learns their critical life skills through play. A Serious Game is a software application developed using game technology and game design principles, for a primary purpose other than pure entertainment, be it training, marketing, simulation, or education. Serious Games combine industry subject matter expertise using standard task and risk analysis tools, instructional design and game design to create engaging, immersive learning environments that accelerate learning, improve retention and provide the underpinning knowledge for skills competency, in a self-reinforcing context.
Long before the term "serious game" came into widespread use, games were being developed for non-entertainment purposes. In 2002 however, the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington D.C. launched a "Serious Games Initiative" to encourage the development of games that address policy and management issues. More focused sub-groups began to appear in 2004, including Games for Change, focusing on social issues and social change, and Games for Health, focusing specifically on health care applications and creating behavior changes. Currently airlines, militaries and medical professionals are some of the largest user groups of serious games, but other commercial sectors are actively pursuing development of these tools, as the benefits become more and more apparent.
What can Serious Games do for you?
- Interactive gaming can offer insight and understanding of complex concepts and long-term thinking.
- Capture experienced workers' knowledge
- Train all employees to a similar standards
- Provide a safe training environment
- Provide a safe place to fail
- Create an engaging experience; workers want to train more
- Allow training to be done anywhere, in groups, or individually
- Lower per trainee cost as trainee volume increases
- Prove competence before risking equipment and lives
- Improve speed to competency
- Improve retention of information and processes
- Provide certifiable, trackable, traceable, transferable records of competency and improvement
- Proceed at learner's pace, for more efficient learning
Coole Immersive's mission is to revolutionize industrial learning through the use of innovative immersive learning systems. Cutting edge technologies, traditionally reserved for video games, allow us to create Immersive Learning Systems that provide students with a safe place to learn from their mistakes. Our Immersive technology consists of a combination of video, computer rendered video, assessment processes and simulation-based games run on a hybrid web and PC or Mac based system. The process complements traditional hands-on training of front-line workers. Our programs engage trainees in a media-rich, immersive training environment that maximizes the learning experience. This is of particular importance where literacy issues and cultural differences are challenges to progress.